Entries close Friday 3rd Dec @ 8pm
Event Name - Ards CC Cyclocross Winter Classic
Date - Sunday 5th December
Location - Whitespots Country Park, Newtownards, BT23 7PH
Description - The Ards CC XC Winter Classic is being run at the Whitespots Country Park in Newtownards. There is a car park (free admission) at this location with a short walk from this area via a pedestrian path to the event Start/Finish area. Racing takes place on undulating off-road terrain with a mixture of technical and flowing sections on both dirt and gravel.
Some info on the venue and the course for you all prior to release of the race regs:
1. The race is at the famous Whitespots Country Park in Newtownards (locally known as the lead mines). This is an off-road two wheel heaven. It’s used by Mototrial NI for trials and has also been the local haven for mountain biking since back in the 80s where myself and others learned to ride.
2. Views from the mines are epic, looking out over Newtownards, much of Strangford Lough and on to the Mournes. For a race scene, it doesn’t get much better. It’s rough going so any spectators, make sure you bring good footwear and wrap up!
3. The course will pass by the ‘big chimney’ - once part of the massive lead mine complex until 1900 and famous backdrop to several Game of Thrones episodes - points to those who can name the episodes (not really)
4. We have put a lot of thought developing a course that everyone can enjoy. It’s got a bit of everything and is modelled more on the old skool type of MTB racing! So anyone with any form of MTB can have a go. It includes some legendary climbs, fast technical descents, rock gardens and big flowing gravel sections. It’s also marked out with loads of overtaking opportunities.
5. This event caters for everyone and we have not one but two great kids courses to cater for different ages. We hope to run an individual womens race if the numbers are sufficient otherwise the girls will race the Bs.
6. Spectators haven’t been left out either with easy access to the entire course and three recommended spectating locations that will look out over some fast and ‘hairy’ parts of the lap.
7. We’ve had a lot of enquires about who should ride the B and A races. Simples really - B is designed for newcomers to come try it out and have fun along with typical CX B riders, A3/A4, and women. The A race will be A1/A2 riders, CX A riders, top MTB riders. There are no specific age categories to make it nice and simple.
8. We hope to have a trials pace bike on the day to guide riders around.
This one will be a real challenge but heaps of fun!
Race regs and some course media to follow shortly. Please keep the entries coming in nice and early. Look forward to seeing everyone. Glen